We’ve heard about the problems. We’ve seen the problems. At this meeting, the conversation was about SOLUTIONS – real, imagined; happening, never tried; possible, impossible; short-term, long-term; direct action, legislation; good, perfect…
The amazing panel consisted of (left to right in photo above):
- Emily Cohen, Deputy Director, Mayor’s Office of HOPE
- Shira Noel, Policy and Advocacy Coordinator, Homeless Youth Alliance
- Julie Leadbetter, Director, San Francisco Navigation Center
- Amy Farah Weiss, Founder/Director, Saint Francis Homelessness Challenge*
- Ken Fisher, Founder/Designer, RouteHome
PHDC Vice-President Tony Kelly moderated. The program opened with Melodie, reading a letter she had written about some of the trauma she and her fellow vehicle dwellers have experienced.
In addition to their own organizations, panelists recommended some resources to find out more and get involved. In San Francisco: HandUp online fundraising to help an individual in need; volunteering with Project Homeless Connect at events offering many services under one roof; Downtown Streets team. Also: Dignity Village in Portland, OR.
* Amy Weiss requests that you take the online quiz/survey to test your knowledge about the status quo of homelessness in SF and learn more about the Saint Francis Homelessness Challenge. Thanks.
WHEN: Tuesday, March 1, at 7pm
WHERE: Potrero Hill Neighborhood House, 953 De Haro St @ Southern Heights